Thursday 27 November 2014

The Geese Have Gone

I'm Joanne and I share my life with Dennis, who after thirty years is still telling me new stories over an early morning cup of tea in bed. 

His Chinese Geese are our morning alarm clock. We sell our hand printed greeting cards at the monthly local market. I was approached by a local fellow poultry keeper who mentioned he needed to cull twenty white Geese. 

This Winter Dennis purchased a poultry plucker and we had processed some ducks with the help and expertise of a local Chef and Printmaker friend. 

So my life as a Goose Broker began when our local poultry friend arrived on time with bags of geese to process. 

I would call it Experience Geese Day if we were to approach the venture in a commercial manner. 

We worked hard for several hours with a temporary shade over to clothesline where our Chef friend worked with great skill. 

The goose sausages we await may be as good or better than the duck sausages we relished after the Duck Day we experienced previously. 

My digital photographs are the continuation of a Series of recent Self Portraits I have been making on our land in Northern Tasmania over all four seasons. 

The goose wing images here utilize the exquisite wings of white Geese which I am told were once on Tamar Island. 

This afternoon Dennis told me in 1977 he and a friend bought thirty three white Geese from the Tamar Island area to take back to Meander where they lived on a commune.






Joanne Wild 2014



5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Have to say I felt a tinge of sadness for the geese. But a great story Jo and I love your 'shadow portraits'. Or that's what I refer to it as. I imagine it feels good to be able to create such work. I am in awe of your creativity.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Rosemary. I am getting a lot of pleasure out of working with my $100 camera on and about our land at Elizabeth Town.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Den I enjoy the challenge of working to a Theme & after contemplation, I work fast with inspiration.

      Delete
    4. Thanks Den. I enjoy working to a Theme.

      Delete